Homemy artcardsprints for salecontact me

IMPORTANT: Address Change

My blog will still be operating, however the new purchasing of cards and prints will be under construction for some time. Hope you understand and bear with me.

The address of this blog has been permanently changed. "Donnadidit" no longer exists and will not show up on any search engine. It is important that you ...
1. Grab my button which will automatically bring you here ... or...
2. Change the name (dorothydonnaparker) and the URL on your reading and/or receive list. (Blogroll) ... or ...
3. make it super easy on yourself and subscribe by email.

If you have any questions, please contact me by email. Don't want to loose you. Love you too much. :o) Donna, Doni, Lady D xoxo

Friday, November 27, 2009

* Autumn


Autumn.  The last roses of summer ...  Sigh ....  This autumn has not been a gentle season.  Torrential rains have caused tremendous damage to our Island, and many people have been evacuated from their homes due to flooding.  Fortunately, no one has been injured.  For that we are grateful.

It's time to put my little garden and deck to bed for the winter.  There are still blooms on the roses and a few other of the plants, however, they know when it's time to take some time off to rest and renew themselves for next spring.  Our society should take the hint!!


I always enjoy the bird feeders.  The little birds bring me so much joy.  This year, I hung the humming bird feeder over a blooming thistle.  The ants liked the thistle a lot.  The ants found the sugar water in the feeder.  As you can imagine, it turned into an ant trap instead of a humming bird feeder.  I will find a new place to hang it next spring.

Last winter, at my other house, I had a little hummingbird stay all winter.  It was a delight.  It's amazing to me a bird of that size and delicacy is able to survive the cold.  There were times last year, the sugar water would be frozen in the morning.  I would bring it in, thaw it out in the microwave, and by the time I put it back on the hanger, my little bird would be hovering - saying - "What have you done with my breakfast - don't you know it's cold out here!!!"  He would dive right into his food while I was still standing there!

Last year at this time, I could still sit out on my patio with the candles it, enjoying the soft night air.  Not so this season.  It seems to be one coastal system after another.

I live very near the West Bay Marina and board walk.  On pleasant evenings, Habibi and I walk down to the park and watch the lights of the city come on.  It's quite spectacular.  The city reflects itself in the water, the float homes and boats light up, and people enjoy evening walks.  It's soul food for me.

Only about a month 'til I leave for San Miguel!  Time if flying by.  I must begin readying myself.






In the meantime, I will tidy my garden, pull the plants which won't survive the cold and trim the others back.  Geraniums survive the winter here, so I will just trim them back.




My fuchsia was spectacular, but it's done now.  There is only one bloom left.  I enjoyed it so much.  Always brings back happy memories of the beautiful fuchsias Mama hung by the back door.

"We've got this gift of love, but love is like a precious plant.  You can't just accept it and leave it in the cupboard or think it's going to get on by itself.  You've got to keep watering it.  You've got to really look after it and nurture it."
~ John Lennon


No comments: