Homemy artcardsprints for salecontact me

IMPORTANT: Address Change

My blog will still be operating, however the new purchasing of cards and prints will be under construction for some time. Hope you understand and bear with me.

The address of this blog has been permanently changed. "Donnadidit" no longer exists and will not show up on any search engine. It is important that you ...
1. Grab my button which will automatically bring you here ... or...
2. Change the name (dorothydonnaparker) and the URL on your reading and/or receive list. (Blogroll) ... or ...
3. make it super easy on yourself and subscribe by email.

If you have any questions, please contact me by email. Don't want to loose you. Love you too much. :o) Donna, Doni, Lady D xoxo

Sunday, November 13, 2011

* Medicine Woman Completed

For those of you popping over from The Butterfly Effect, this Medicine Woman carries with her the essence of the ancient Celtic Goddess Brigid, from about 450AD.  For those of you unfamiliar with The Butterfly Effect, please pop over and check it out.  It's fun!  

My journey with Medicine Woman has been an interesting one.  Actually, I would apply the same statement to all the women who have come through me to my canvas lately.  I am still amazed and in awe at the process.

As you know, this painting, before I even had her on the canvas announced she was Medicine Woman.  As I worked with her she told me she was an 'ancient Celtic healer'.  Doing research I found the definition of the word "ancient" as it relates to Celtic lore would be approximately 450AD.  When I searched the words 'ancient Celtic healer' the first thing which appeared on the screen was The Goddess Brigid.  There was a shrine built to Brigid, near Kildare.  This shrine was built very close to an old Oak tree.  A tree considered so sacred by the Druids no one was allowed to bring a weapon near.  I was unaware of this fact when I painted this figure so close to the large tree.  Brigid is a tri Goddess.  She is a healer, a medicine woman, obtaining her healing properties from Mother Earth.  Known for her hospitality to poets, musicians, and scholars, she is known as the Irish muse of poetry.  She is also considered the Celtic goddess of fire (the forge and the hearth), or what we would know as metal smithing.  It is said that wherever she walked, small flowers and shamrocks would appear.  That was absolutely unknown to me until after I completed the painting.


Later, when Christianity appeared on the scene, St. Patrick dragged this Goddess into the present and endowed her with Sainthood.  I have a sense from working with her essence in this painting, that the Christian Saint has absolutely nothing to do with what the Goddess originally stood for, when women were revered and respected for their knowledge and wisdom, held in high esteem, listened to, heard and honoured. 


The other important information I sense from working with her is this.  This painting in and of itself is NOT the Goddess Brigid.  Medicine Woman does however carry her essence and attributes; in other words, everything Brigid believed and stood for.  She has allowed me to bring the very essence of the ancient Celtic wisdom into the 21st century.   The most important message I received while working with her were the words "Love is the Greatest Healer".  Think about that.  


During the creative process Medicine Woman specifically asked for the Celtic knot, which symbolizes no beginning/no end thought.  Once energy is created and in place, it can never be un created.  I think physics has proven this.  She asked for hearts and heartlets, telling me she cannot make her potions and medicine bags without love.  Four leaf shamrocks were requested.  Three leaves were not acceptable. They did not hold enough power.  She sits deep in the forest beside a huge tree.  It's my feeling the tree symbolizes strength and everlastingness (is that a word?)  A bird sits near by, symbolizing messages from the Universe and the ability to receive, hear and understand Universal information from another dimension.  It's been a ride, and a most interesting one.  So without further adieu, I give you "Medicine Woman".  I hope you will see and feel under the surface to her very essence, which is pure love.




Thank you all for dropping by.  Thank you for listening and understanding.  xxoo  Donna

This is the very first quote I came across when I went looking for an appropriate quotation.  Odd, because I think that, in a nutshell, is exactly what Medicine Woman has come here to say. 

“Eventually you will come to understand that love heals everything, and love is all there is.”  Gary Zukav

21 comments:

Nancy Lynn said...

She is absolutely beautiful. Love how she turned out. Another gorgeous masterpiece Donna.

Valerie-Jael said...

She has turned out wonderfully Donna, really beautiful, and thanks for all the explanations, too! Hugs, Valerie

Carolyn said...

Donna, I believe this is my favorite painting you have shared with us. Love is healing and the colors and facial expression you were able to capture are so beautiful. The painting is calming to view and will add a lot to your casa as you look back over the last couple of years.

BRAVO!

Hugs,
C

Anonymous said...

Donna, Donna, Donna, you sure have did/done it. She is magnificent, truly. I just love looking at her. I hope you don't mind but I have saved her in a file so I can always see her. I just love the way she spoke and you carried out every wish of hers. I like your research as well, always good to learn something.

The word 'everlastingness'. Shakespeare would be proud of you. When he wanted to say something that meant a lot and couldn't find the word, he made it up.

When I finish this challenge of mine I am going to roam all over your site, I am missing a lot probably. love r.rose

Gerri Herbst said...

dear Donna,
Another stunning goddess! She is just so gorgeous and has power!
Im thinking you should print them on notecards and give as gifts!
LOL. take care, gerri

Å olanje na domu-Waldorf said...

I was just reading about her over the weekend when I was deciding which goddess to make. :) Love how she came out!

Gina said...

Oh my!! She is just perfection. The symbolism you have drawn into this piece is beautiful and reverent, she is a true follower of Brigid :D XXX

creativelenna said...

gosh, donna. you have made me tear-up with that quote even though I know that quote. it is a very powerful one and very true. I find the back story of this painting, what you sensed as you were creating and what you discovered when researching so interesting. To top it off, your medicine woman painting is so stylized and absolutely beautiful, with an amazing message. Sending love, lenna

patty said...

WOW - I'm just so in awe of all of this - the process, the story, the painting, all of it!!! She is just absolutely STUNNING, Donna. Thank you for enriching my day. Amazing. I keep looking..... XOX

Annie Lightbulb said...

Oh wow, she's gorgeous! Love the soft oranges and greens, you can feel the healing and gentleness oozing from her. Loved reading how you were inspired by her and how she spoke to you even before the painting materialized! What a great and wonderful post!
Much love <3
Julie

Hettienne Grobler said...

Hi Donna, I discovered your blog today. I absolutely loved my visit here. I have blogged about my pilgrimage Kildare and the original holy place of Brigit. Maybe you would like to pay a visit - I also posted some lovely pictures which I took during my stay in Kildare http://pathofdivinelove.blogspot.com/2011/04/brigidbrigitbridebrede-mary-of-gael.html.
namaste, Hettienne

Powerful Search Engine said...

Hi Donna this is so stunning I love the colours you have used they bring a real vibrancy to this beautiful painting xxx

Nancy said...

Warm, warm, warm... this painting just make me think warmth. Lovely.

Hettienne Grobler said...

Thanks for visiting - it will be wonderful to travel together. If you look at some of my other paintings you will see that many have that exact same pattern as yours - the curlycew one (my word) on the bottom. It always appears as if bidden by an unseen hand! blessings!

Dolly Daydreams said...

My dearest Donna, she is a vision ! I love her hair those beautiful flowers cascading over her shoulder and the very pretty heart flowers she is holding. I think this is my favourite of all of your works she definetley speaks to me .

Marie

Katie said...

She is so beautiful, Donna. Your painting is amazing. I just wanna hug ya!

SooZeQue said...

I truly admire the thought process that you put into your work. You give it spirit/heart/soul every time. She's beautiful!

Leovi said...

Oooh! Wonderful, I really like the colors.

Unknown said...

Donna, she is spectacular. How incredible that you can channel through your art, and have the sensitivity to listen as you are guided though the process. ((hugs))

Fallingladies said...

I do love your medicine women, and it was wonderful to hear the story behind your discover of Brigid and your healer! I love when things happen like that!

jane said...

"Everlastingness" is now my favorite new word. Thank you for the everlasting art and spirit!